Jackson County's first court was
ordered to be held at the home of Daniel Bryson, Sr., and
after that session the courts were held at Allen Fisher's
store until the courthouse was erected. In 1852 an act was
passed authorizing an election to be held to decide on moving
the county seat from Webster to Sylva. The election was
held May 8,1913, and was carried by a majority of 675. Sylva
furnished the site and $10,000 in cash for the new courthouse.
Jackson County was named
in honor of Andrew Jackson, who won an overwhelming victory
from the British at New Orleans in 1815 and who was twice
President of the United States.